Prairie View Elementary Time Line:
1840- First school in North Prairie, held in the loft of a home.
1843- $150 raised to build school on current site.
1909- Sixty-eight students in eight grades became the first school community.
1911- Second room added. Each heated with its own stove.
1916- A basement was dug beneath school and a furnace was added.
1929- Electricity installed.
1929- PTA formed.
1930- Money borrowed and red brick building built. Total cost: $19,758.61.
1931- One acre of land purchased to enlarge the playground. Music program begun with teachers from Carroll University.
1933- Weekly Reader introduced.
1944- Teacher's salaries were $1,575 per year.
1952- First telephone installed.
1953- First Hot Lunch Program begun.
1954- Two more classrooms added to make a four room school. Steps and sidewalk installed partway down the hill by the Lion's Club.
1955- First movie projector purchased for the school.
1957- School busses first used.
1959- Gym, stage and six classrooms added. First fulltime principal hired.
1966- Kindergarten added during spring semester.
1968- South addition to the school built. Fulltime librarian hired.
1978- Major renovation to building, students attend classes at different sites throughout the district during construction. Enlarged enough to accomodate 3 sections per grade level.
2001- Computer lab updated. Thirty stations for students to utilize.
2012- Building renovation over the summer.